Our non-profit strategy consulting services are designed to fit the needs of counties, muncipalities and other non-profit organizations. We help our clients define a clear vision, develop a roadmap, and then work closely with them to help achieve their goals. Although we are based in Chicago, we can work with clients anywhere.
Is your organization’s mission clear and relevant?
Sometimes it’s hard for to tell. Management says it is, but volunteers and other stakeholders feel otherwise. We’ll help you evaluate our mission, and adjust and it if necessary.
Is change occuring faster than you can adapt?
Every organization has to deal with change. And the pace of change accelerates every year as new technologies, regulations, and social media appear, and old ones disappear. We’ll help you identify the most important trends and find ways to take advantage of them.
Is your organization out of alignment?
Are all of your stakeholders working toward the same end? Or are different departments and stakeholder groups out of sync?
Are your programs delivering high quality results, or just getting by?
Everybody needs to press the reset button once in a while. The same holds for organizations. Five years ago your programs were operating at their peak. What happened?
Successful strategic planning requires a process. Skipping steps almost always leads to sub-par results. You need to allow ample time for research, brainstorming, analysis and documentation. Our comprehensive strategic planning process typically takes anywhere from three to six months.
- We emphasise interviews, research and analysis over meeting facilitation.
- Of course we document our findings, but we keep our reports simple, clear, and concise.
- Finally, we provide clients with ongoing monitoring and implementation support.
- Above all, we avoid rose colored glasses. We bring reality into every conversation.
Avoid These Common Strategic Planning Mistakes
There is no such thing as a perfect strategy, or a perfect strategic planning process. No matter what you do or how you do it, it can probably be improved. That said, a half-baked strategy can sometimes be worse than nothing. Every organization is occasionally tempted to cut back on research and planning when times are tough. But those are exactly the times when having realistic goals and a sensible plan is most important. The best leaders always stay on top of what’s going on in and outside their organization, and are always thinking ahead.
Common strategic planning mistakes include:
- Basing your strategy on invalid or incomplete market research
- Ignoring important stakeholders because you “don’t think they are relevant”
- Only considering a few fairly obvious strategic options
- Basing your strategy on outdated or faulty assumptions
- Setting goals that are non-specific in time and extent
- Underestimating the time, resources, and financial investment needed to execute the strategic plan
- Failing to align board memberss, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders through effective communication, management and monitoring.
- Under-funding the execution phase in order to meet short term membership or revenue goals
- Failing to adjust the plan when market conditions or other factors change
Execution Is Key to Getting Results
Are you going to actually follow through on the plan, or will it just become an expensive paperweight? Far too many organizations invest in strategic planning and then end up putting their plans on a shelf — literally. The reality is that a strategic plan is useless if you can’t execute. For that reason, we don’t like to stop at planning. Successful execution takes time, commitment, and focus. We can help you execute the strategy, provide additional resources to translate your plan into action, and generate results.
Contact Us now to unlock the potential in your organization.